This October we launched the Georgia Instructional Coaching Cohort in partnership with Georgia’s Department of Rural Education & Innovation office with the Georgia Department of Education.
This Coaching Cohort provides Georgia instructional coaches with education that is specific to their role in working with adult learners to guide large-scale instructional shifts and creates a network of like-minded individuals to support one another through state-wide challenges in instructional coaching and education.
In signing up for the GICC, coaches were asked why they wanted to join the cohort. These were the main reasons coaches listed:
- To improve their coaching skills and gain fresh perspective
- To learn new strategies and best practices for coaching and supporting teachers
- To collaborate and network with other coaches
- To grow professionally and continue learning
- To be more effective in their coaching role
- To support teachers better with integrating technology
- To ultimately improve student achievement
- To learn how to create a culture of collaboration
- To gain access to more resources and tools
The Impact of the GICC and Future Plans
A network of 100 coaches divided into smaller cohorts will meet twice a month for the next 6 months to engage in professional learning specific to the coaching role and to exchange ideas and experiences with each other.
Meetings are held virtually to eliminate geographical barriers to cross-state collaboration. Forward Edge facilitates this learning experience by guiding coaches through high-quality curriculum that has earned the ISTE seal of alignment for Coaching Standards.
We are already seeing the impact of similar partnerships in the states of Virginia with VSTE and Michigan with MACUL. The GICC partnership with Georgia Department of Education is the third partnership Forward Edge has formed to offer this high-caliber learning and networking experience for coaches.
We are excited to see the ripple of impact this program has for school districts in Georgia.
Where will we venture to next? Only time will tell!
Interested in bringing a similar program to your state or state-level organization? Let’s start a conversation! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.